Monday, October 25, 2010

Guilty Pleasures: There was a pie in this box...

Sadly, it's gone to a better place now...

Just to extend a bit, when I was growing up we had strawberry bushes on one part of the property and rhubarb on another (also: blueberries across the road), so I had lots of this kinda thing for the few years my mom was into making preserves/jams/etc... Tremendous soft spot for it.

Not so much for rabbit. Which my dad also... farmed... for a bit. Nor the racing pigeons. Which we didn't eat, but feeding a coop full of the shit machines is not high on the list of things you want to do at 6 years old.

On the other hand, I do miss the kennel of Irish Setters. Awesome dogs - Setters and Retrievers are the only Dogs I'd ever have - but I'd never own one in the city. They need room to run.

2 comments:

  1. Where you grew up sounds kind of like my dream house. There'd be PIES ALL THE TIME EVERY TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gram's place here in Toronto has Apple + Pear trees as well as wine grapes in the back yard. Then, she grows tomatoes and peppers in the garden.

    Sadly, the former grouping has tended to go to waste since my GF died and no one wants to make wine anymore and no one wants to eat the apples or pears. But, the peppers and tomatoes get into things all summer.

    ReplyDelete